An anal fissure is a traumatically induced longitudinal split in the squamous epithelium of the distal anal canal. It typically extends from the anal verge cephalad towards the dentate line. It most commonly occurs in the midline posteriorly, but it can also occur in the midline anteriorly. Anterior fissures are more common in women than men, occurring in 10% of women with fissures compared with 1% of men with fissures [
]. In its chronic form it is sometimes called ulcer-in-ano.
- Goligher J.C.
Surgery of the anus, rectum and colon.
5th edition. Bailliere Tindall, Springfield1984
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgical Clinics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgery of the anus, rectum and colon.5th edition. Bailliere Tindall, Springfield1984 (p. 170–191)
- Fissure-in-ano.in: Gordon P.H. Nivatvongs S. Principles and practice of surgery for the colon, rectum and anus. 2nd edition. Quality Medical Publishing, St Louis1999: 217-240
- Hot or cold in anal pain? A study in the changes in the internal sphincter pressure profiles.Dis Colon Rectum. 1986; 29: 248-251
- Sustained internal sphincter hypertonia in patients with chronic anal fissure.Dis Colon Rectum. 1984; 37: 424-429
- Anal hypertonia in fissures. Cause or effect?.Br J Surg. 1986; 73: 443-445
- Computer generated profiles of the anal canal in patients with anal fissure.Dis Colon Rectum. 1995; 38: 72-79
- Internal anal sphincter derangement with anal fissures.Gastroenterology. 1974; 67: 216-220
- Anal manometry in patients with fissure-in-ano before and after internal sphincterotomy.Int J Colorectal Dis. 1993; 8: 125-128
- Ultraslow wave pressure variations in the anal canal before and after lateral internal sphincterotomy.Int J Colorectal Dis. 1992; 7: 115-118
- Closed lateral internal sphincterotomy without removal of sentinel pile for fissure-in-ano.Coloproctology. 1981; 3: 91-93
- Surgical correction of chronic anal fissure: results of lateral internal sphincterotomy vs. fissurectomy-midline sphincterotomy.Dis Colon Rectum. 1980; 23: 31-36
- Internal sphincterotomy for chronic anal fissure: Long-term effects on anal pressure.Br J Surg. 1986; 73: 915-916
- Surgical treatment of chronic fissure-in-ano: a prospective randomized study.East Afr Med J. 1992; 69: 613-615
- Topography of the inferior rectal artery. A possible cause of chronic primary anal fissure.Dis Colon Rectum. 1989; 32: 43-52
- Ischemic nature of anal fissure.Br J Surg. 1996; 83: 63-65
- Maintainence therapy with unprocessed bran in the prevention of acute anal fissure recurrence.J R Soc Med. 1987; 80: 296-298
- Treatment of first episodes of acute anal fissure: prospective randomized study of lignocaine ointment verses cortisone ointment or warm sitz baths plus bran.BMJ. 1986; 292: 1167-1169
- Nerve mediated relaxation of the human internal anal sphincter: The role of nitric oxide.Gut. 1993; 34: 689-693
- Glyceryl trinitrate for chronic anal fissure-healing or headache.Dis Colon Rectum. 2000; 43: 174-181
- Local nitroglycerin for treatment of anal fissures: an alternative to lateral sphincterotomy?.Dis Colon Rectum. 1997; 40: 840-845
- Glyceryl trinitrate ointment for the treatment of chronic anal fissure. Results of a placebo-controlled trial and long term follow-up.Dis Colon Rectum. 1999; 42: 1000-1006
- Reversible chemical sphincterotomy by topical application of glyceryl trinitrate.Br J Surg. 1994; 81: 1386-1389
- A randomized, prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of glyceryl trinitrate ointment in the treatment of anal fissure.Lancet. 1997; 349: 11-14
- Glyceryl trinitrate vs sphincterotomy for treatment of chronic fissure-in-ano.Dis Colon Rectum. 1997; 40: 1318-1320
- Followup of patients with chronic anal fissure treated with topical glyceryl nitrate.Lancet. 1998; 352: 1681
- A comparison of injections of injections of botulinum toxin and topical nitroglycerine ointment for the treatment of chronic anal fissure.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 65-69
- Botulinum toxin for chronic anal fissure.Lancet. 1994; 344: 1127-1128
- Therapeutic uses of botulinum toxin.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 1186-1194
- One hundred cases of anal fissure treated with botulin toxin: early and long term results.Dis Colon Rectum. 1997; 40: 1029-1032
- Chronic anal fissures treated with botulinum toxin injections: a dose-finding study with Dysport.Colorectal Dis. 1999; 1: 26-28
- Diltiazem heals glyceryl trinitrate-resistant chronic anal fissure: a prospective study.Dis Colon Rectum. 2002; 45: 1091-1095
- Diltiazem and bethanechol decrease anal sphincter pressure and heal anal fissures without side-effects.Gut. 1999; 45: 719-722
- Long term results of open and closed sphincterotomy for anal fissure.Dis Colon Rectum. 1988; 31: 368-371
- Anal fissure. 20 years experience.Dis Colon Rectum. 1995; 38: 378-382
- Reappraisal of partial lateral internal sphincterotomy.Dis Colon Rectum. 1994; 37: 1291-1295
- Re-examination of the clinical manifestations and responses to therapy of fissure-in-ano.Dis Colon Rectum. 1997; 40: 229-233
- Lateral internal sphincterotomy for fissure-in-ano revisited.Dis Colon Rectum. 1997; 40: 597-602
- Performing internal sphincterotomy with other anorectal procedures.Dis Colon Rectum. 1994; 37: 1130-1132
- Open vs. closed sphincterotomy for chronic anal fissure: long-term results.Dis Colon Rectum. 1996; 39: 440-443
- Prospective study of the extent of internal anal division during lateral sphincterotomy.Dis Colon Rectum. 1994; 37: 1031-1033
- Tailored lateral sphincterotomy for anal fissure.Dis Colon Rectum. 1997; 40: 1439-1442
- Sliding skin grafts in the treatment of anal fissure.Dis Colon Rectum. 1970; 13: 372-375
- Island advancement flaps in the management of anal fissures.Br J Surg. 1995; 82: 526-528
© 2002 Elsevier Science (USA). Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.