It is possible that no condition has been written about more by surgeons over the expanse of time and world geography than anorectal abscess and fistula [
- Sankaran P.S.
Sushruta's contribution to surgery.
Indological Book House, Varanasi1976
- Ani An
Anorectal diseases in western Nigerian adults. A field study.
Dis Colon Rectum. 1983; 26: 381-385
- Navruzov S.N.
- Dul'tsev IV,
- Salamov K.N.
Causes and prevention of rectal fistula recurrences.
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek. 1981; 27: 43-46
4]. This broad concern is a testament both to the prevalent nature of these disorders and the difficulty they present to the surgeon in basic decision making. The reasons for these difficult decisions are obvious. It is necessary to resolve sepsis and symptoms associated with it, principally pain, and yet the procedures that one employs must also preserve function in the anal canal; that is, prevent incontinence.
- Akinola D.O.
- Hamed A.D.
Fistula in ano in Nigerians.
Trop Gastroenterol. 1989; 10: 153-157
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgical Clinics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sushruta's contribution to surgery.Indological Book House, Varanasi1976
- Anorectal diseases in western Nigerian adults. A field study.Dis Colon Rectum. 1983; 26: 381-385
- Causes and prevention of rectal fistula recurrences.Vestn Khir Im I I Grek. 1981; 27: 43-46
- Fistula in ano in Nigerians.Trop Gastroenterol. 1989; 10: 153-157
- A prospective survey of 474 patients with anorectal abscesses.Dis Colon Rectum. 1979; 22: 566-568
- Perianal abscess and fistulas; a study of 1023 patients.Dis Colon Rectum. 1984; 27: 593-597
- Fistula in ano in a defined population. Incidence and epidemiologic aspects.Ann Chir Gynaecol. 1984; 73: 219-224
- The incidence of recurrent abscesses or fistula in ano following anorectal supperation.Dis Colon Rectum. 1984; 27: 126-130
- Incidence of fistula in ano complicating anorectal sepsis: a prosepctive study.Br J Surg. 1986; 73: 371-372
- Surgery of the anus, rectum and colon.Balliere Tindall, London1975
- Anal carcinoma presenting as a perirectal abscess or fistula.Arch Surg. 1985; 120: 632-635
- Do hemorrhoids cause cancer?.Sem Colon & Rectal Surg. 1995; 6: 178-181
- Adenocarcinoma of the Anus.Sem in Colon & Rectal Surg. 1995; 6: 169-173
- Chronic inflammation and cancer.Oncology. 2002; 16: 217-236
- Fistulography for fistula-in-ano. Is it useful?.Dis Colon Rectum. 1985; 28: 103-104
- Assessment of the usefulness of a diagnostic test: patient preference in diagnostic tests of colonic inflammation.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2001; 1: 5
- The treatment of acute superficial abscesses: a prospective clinical trial.Br J Surg. 1977; 64: 264-266
- The treatment of acute superficial abscesses; a prospective clinical trial.J Coll Surg Edinb. 1981; 26: 282-285
- Bactericidal antimicrobial cover in primary suture of perianal or pilonidal abscess; a prospective, randomized, double blind clinical trial.Acta Chir Scand. 1989; 155: 351-354
- Outcome at three to five years of primary closure of perianal and pilonidal abscess; a randomised, double blind clinical trial.Eur J Surg. 1993; 159: 555-558
- Primary suture of anorectal abscess; a randomized study comparing treatment with Clindamyciin vs. Clindamycin and Getacoll.Dis Colon Rectum. 1995; 38: 398-401
- A controlled study comparing the conventional treatment of idiopathic anorectal abscess with that of incision, curettage and primary suture under systemic antibiotic cover.Dis Colon Rectum. 1976; 19: 46-51
- Primaer sutur med eller uden daekke af klindamycin ved anorectal ae abscesser.Ugeskr Laeger. 1983; 145: 576-578
- Incision and drainage v. incision, curretage and suture under antibiotic cover in anorectal abscess; a randomized study with 3-year follow-up.Acta Chir Scand. 1984; 150: 689-692
- A randomized trial of fistulotomy in perianal abscess.Scand J Gastroenterol. 1987; 22: 174-176
- Treatment of anorectal abscess with or without primary fistulectomy; results of a prospective randomized trial.Dis Colon Rectum. 1991; 34: 60-63
- The prevalence of fecal incontinence in Wisconsin households.JAMA. 1995; 274: 559-562
- Prospective randomized trial of drainage alone vs. drainage and fistulotomy for acute perianal abscess with proven internal opening.Dis Colon Rectum. 1996; 39: 1415-1417
- Randomized controlled trial of primary fistulotomy with drainage alone for perianal abscess.Dis Colon Rectum. 1997; 40: 1435-1438
- Primary curative incision in the treatment of perianorectal abscess.Zhonghua Wai Ke Za zhi. 1997; 35 ([Chinese Journal of Surgery]): 539-540
- To lay open or excise a fistula in ano: a randomized trial.Br J Surg. 1985; 72: 970
- Fistulotomia vs fistulectomia. Valoracion ultrasonografica de lesion al mecanismo de esfinter anal.Rev Gastroenterol Mex. 1999; 64: 167-170
- Marsupialization of fistulotomy wounds improves healing: a randomized controlled trial.Br J Surg. 1998; 85: 105-107
- Collaborating Centres ICMR. Multicentric randomized controlled trial of Kshaarasootra (Auyurvedic medicated thread) in the management of fistula in ano.Indian J Med Res. 1991; 94: 177-185
- Efficacy of low-dose epidural anaesthesia in surgery of the anal canal – a randomized controlled trial.Anaesth Intensive Care. 1994; 22: 161-164
- Is bowel confinement necessary after anorectal reconstructive surgery?.Dis Colon Rectum. 1999; 42: 16-23
- The nonoperative treatment of fistula in ano.J Pediatr Surg. 2000; 35: 938-939
- Fistula in ano in childhood: a congenital etiology.J Pediatr Surg. 1985; 20: 80-81
- A review of the results of conventional treatment of anal fistulae.J R Soc Med. 1962; 55: 756-758
- The outcome of surgery for high anal fistulas.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2000; 2: 17
- Cutting seton versus two stage fistulotomy in the surgical management of high anal fistula.Br J Surg. 1998; 85: 243-245
- Sliding flap advancement for the treatment of high level fistulae.Br J Surg. 1987; 74: 390-391
- Dermal island flap anoplasty for trans-sphincteric fistula in ano: assessment of treatment failures.Dis Colon Rectum. 2000; 43: 681-684
- Repair of Anorectal Fistulae with Fibrin Sealant-A Long-term Follow-up.Dis Colon Rectum. 2000; 43: 944-950
© 2002 Elsevier Science (USA). Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.